APA’s PayTrain program combines printed textbooks with interactive online games, application exercises, case studies, and tests. Both the self-directed and instructor-assisted learning options utilize these materials as their foundation.
Everyone who purchases PayTrain will receive printed workbooks for offline reading, note taking, and future reference. The text is divided into seven modules. See Course Topics for details.
The online components are essential to the learning process. These interactive tools will help you determine your initial level of knowledge, create a study plan based on your individual needs, reinforce your studies with games, application exercises and tests, and track your learning progress through progress reports. The online portion of the course consists of the following components.
- Overview: The overview will guide you through the PayTrain program. Read the overview now.
- Pre-Test: The timed pre-test, comprised of 50 multiple-choice questions, will measure your existing level of payroll knowledge by topic, and help you develop an efficient study plan. Correct answers are provided after each question.
- Lesson Quizzes: After reading each lesson from your workbook, complete the online lesson quiz to test your comprehension and retention of topics studied. Correct answers and links to the appropriate section are provided after each question.
- Module Game: On Track provides a fun and interactive way of reinforcing learned materials at the end of each module.
- Application Exercises: A number of application exercises, including Excursions, Whistle Stops, and Grand Tours, will help you apply the concepts learned in the text to a series of job-based scenarios. Correct answers and links to the appropriate section of text are provided after each question.
- Course Games: The Great PayTrain Robbery and Workin’ on the Railroad provide an entertaining and challenging review of the topics covered by the entire course.
- Post-Test: The timed post-test, consisting of 50 multiple-choice questions, covers content drawn from the entire course. Correct answers and links to the appropriate sections of text are provided after each question. The post-test results will measure the progress you’ve made throughout the course and will provide an indication of areas that require further study.
- Online Glossary: Accessible any time during the program, the pop-up glossary allows you to look up definitions of terms without leaving your current activity.
- Reports: Track your course progress through a reporting feature that compares pre- and post-test scores.